Simple and strong.
That’s how you could describe these fishing knots. Who doesn’t like simple and strong?
How to tie the palomar knot step-by-step
Time needed: 1 minute.
Step-by-step instructions for tying the palomar knot:
- Thread fishing line through the eyelet of the hook.
- Thread tag end of line back through the hook eyelet.
- With loop end and other end, tie a simple overhand knot, but be sure to keep it very loose and large (you’ll need that loop in the next step!)
- Now, take the hook and insert it through the loop end of the line…
- Grab the hook in one hand and the line strands in the other and pull slowly. The knot will begin to cinch. (Be sure that the loop cinches above the eyelet of the hook!)
- Trim the tag end of the line and you’ve completed the palomar knot!
When I was a kid and learning how to fish… one of the first knots my Dad showed me was the clinch knot. I used that for years. And then I came across the palomar knot. It’s the go-to knot for me. It’s very strong and it’s very easy to tie.
Want more instruction? View video below!
Check out these other related articles on N1 Outdoors!
How to tie the double palomar knot
This next video shows you how to tie it DOUBLE!
We hope you’ve enjoyed these tutorials on tying some of the strongest fishing knots there are! So, grab your favorite fishing rod and reel and get out there an Put A Hook N1!